Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys Firmware update

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Getting my wireless ADSL Router\Modem to work with mycable modem

Old 24-08-2006, 20:17   #1
beany
Inactive

beany is an unknown quantity at this point
Getting my wireless ADSL Router\Modem to work with mycable modem

I have just moved house from a non cabled area to a cabled one.

In my old house I was using a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless ADSL router to connect to the net via my phone line wirelessly and it worked fine. In my new house I now have a cable connection with telewest (using a Motorola SB4200 surfboard cable modem) and want to be able to use my router to connect to the cable modem as i don't want cables trailing all over the house to connect to the modem.

I had this working briefly yesterday, when i did an ipconfig the wireless connection had a telewest ip address (not sure about the NIC card. don't think it had one) anyway as soon as i did a renew of the IP address on the wireless connection it dropped the telewest Ip and assigned a 192.168.1.2 address i.e it had assigned an internal network address from the router when i want the extrenal one assigned by telewest. I want to connect straight through the router to the modem, anyone know how to do this?

I have seen a few posts on here advising this is not possible with this adsl router\modem but it did work for a while yesterday so please no "get a new router posts!!!!"

P.S I have a little networking knowledge but not much so any help would be great.

Ta
beany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2006, 20:30   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Getting my wireless ADSL Router\Modem to work with mycable modem

to Cable Forum

Not quite sure how you got the router working, even temporarily, as an ADSL combined router / modem has no means of speaking properly to a cable modem. Simply put the WAN side of the ADSL router is hard wired to the ADSL modem.

I can only imagine that temporarily you had the modem connected to one of the 4 LAN ports, and one computer only connected to another LAN port. That might have confused things enough that the router acted for a while simply as a switch (junction box).

Sorry, but I've got to say it, you need a different cable compatible router
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 20:40   #3
Nicky
Inactive

Nicky is on a distinguished roadNicky is on a distinguished road

D-Link sell a Cable Router for around £40 - I bought a new one about a month ago, then found my old one was fine just the power cable had gone.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 12:53   #4
beany
Inactive

beany is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.
Not sure how it got this working either!, tried again later and could not get this to work.
beany is offline   Reply With Quote