Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys Router keeps knocking me offline when I change settings?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router Problems

Old 14-02-2006, 12:25   #1
LFC4LIFE
Inactive

LFC4LIFE is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Router Problems

Yesterday I went out and spent around £100 on a broadband router plus a USB adapter, both made by Linksys.

ROUTER: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

USB ADAPTER: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

I have connected the router to the modem and followed all the instructions on the setup CD, but for some reason I cannot connect to the Internet at all while it is plugged in. The Internet will work again when I connect the Ethernet cable back to the modem, but this means I can't use my router. I have installed and connected the USB Adapter to my other pc and it finds the router with a signal of around 68%, which I think is fairly good for how far away it is, but it says on-screen that it cannot connect to the internet. I don't know what to do can anyone help?
LFC4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2006, 12:35   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Router Problems

Have you powered off the modem and computers, disconnected existing ethernet (or USB) connections, plugged in the new ethernet between modem and router (no other connections from modem), now powered up modem - let that settle, power router - let settle, power computer?

The modem does not see that it has something different attached to it, without it being rebooted.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 12:37   #3
LFC4LIFE
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
Have you powered off the modem and computers, disconnected existing ethernet (or USB) connections, plugged in the new ethernet between modem and router (no other connections from modem), now powered up modem - let that settle, power router - let settle, power computer?

The modem does not see that it has something different attached to it, without it being rebooted.
No I havn't, thanks for the advice I will now do this
Old 14-02-2006, 12:39   #4
homealone

assuming the router has been set up to the default (obtain IP automatically, DHCP server enabled), then connect the WAN socket to the modem & one LAN socket to the PC using ethernet cable.

Now switch everything off. Then boot the modem & allow it time to settle down (synch & ready lights steady), now turn on the router & again allow it to run through its boot routine. Now boot your pc - you should get an IP and be able to connect.

Once the main pc is ok, you should then go on to connect the USB adapter - make sure you set up the security.

<edit> too slow
Old 14-02-2006, 12:57   #5
Drewie
Inactive

Drewie is an unknown quantity at this point

If you originally had your computer connected directly to NTL, i.e. no previous router, then NTL will only recognise the MAC address of your PC's network card. In the Linksys router you need to clone your PC's MAC address. Open your browser and enter the routers admin pages, I think its in the setup pages, enable MAC clone and enter the MAC address of your PC you registered with NTL. Your PC's MAC address can be found by entering the cmd window on your PC (MSDOS window) and typing ipconfig /all. The MAC address will be listed as Physical Address.

Hope that helps.
Drewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 13:06   #6
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewie
If you originally had your computer connected directly to NTL, i.e. no previous router, then NTL will only recognise the MAC address of your PC's network card. In the Linksys router you need to clone your PC's MAC address. Open your browser and enter the routers admin pages, I think its in the setup pages, enable MAC clone and enter the MAC address of your PC you registered with NTL. Your PC's MAC address can be found by entering the cmd window on your PC (MSDOS window) and typing ipconfig /all. The MAC address will be listed as Physical Address.

Hope that helps.
that only applies for Set Top Boxes, Stand Alone Cable Modems are able to handle the reboot process & will pick up an IP, without cloning the MAC
Old 14-02-2006, 13:16   #7
Drewie
Inactive

Drewie is an unknown quantity at this point

I stand corrected, fraid I'm still on the old STB. I shall bear that in mind when I convert to a modem if I ever get 10MB.

Much appreciated,
Drewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 13:26   #8
LFC4LIFE
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C

Just booted up the whole system again and it works! Thanks for the advice, now gonna get the wireless connection up and running, thanks again
Old 14-02-2006, 13:32   #9
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewie
I stand corrected, fraid I'm still on the old STB. I shall bear that in mind when I convert to a modem if I ever get 10MB.

Much appreciated,
no problem - makes things a lot easier when swapping things about

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC4LIFE
Just booted up the whole system again and it works! Thanks for the advice, now gonna get the wireless connection up and running, thanks again
good stuff

check out http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=12

for info on security