Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help!!!! :(

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router Problem, please help

Old 16-02-2006, 22:34   #1
pigsy1974
Inactive

pigsy1974 is on a distinguished roadpigsy1974 is on a distinguished road
Router Problem, please help

I have a linksys WRT55ag router which up until last tuesday worked fine. Then it started to reset itself constantly, not being able to get an ip addy. I changed the MTU size to 1200 and can occasionally get a delicate connection. Spoke to TW they said it was nothing to do with them but i later found out they have been doing upgrade work in my area and there was a complete network failure in my area last tuesday. Anyway, linksys support couldnt help me so i returned the router under warranty and got a shiny new replacement today. Guess what???? its exactly the same!!!! BTW both routers work on my friends NTL connection. TW dont support routers therefore arent prepared to help me, so any ideas would be appreciated.
pigsy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2006, 22:41   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Router Problem, please help

do you have the same problems when you connect the pc directly to the cable modem via ethernet? You need to try this so you can eliminate your modem/ BY network as the cause of your problems.

I'm not familiar with that router- is it wired/ wireless?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 22:45   #3
pigsy1974
Inactive

Hi, thanks for the reply, its a 4 port wired router with wireless a/g. PC will connect to modem no problems. I think its an MTU issue but im clutching at straws if im honest, just cant believe that both routers are crocked when they work on NTL
Old 16-02-2006, 22:50   #4
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Try changing the MTU to 1500

are you connecting wired or wirelessly to the router? same problem both ways?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 22:55   #5
pigsy1974
Inactive

mtu is auto at 1500, the router cant pick up an ip from TW even if the pc is not connected at all, but all diagnosis is done wired. If i disconnect the WAN the router works perfectly across the network both wired and wireless, just no outside world
Old 16-02-2006, 23:27   #6
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

Do you have the latest firmware for the router ? If not, upgrade to the latest, sometimes router firmware can be buggy.
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 23:29   #7
pigsy1974
Inactive

i am running the latest firmare, i think i must have spent about 5 hours on the phone and live chat to linksys now, im really running out of ideas
Old 16-02-2006, 23:35   #8
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigsy1974
i am running the latest firmare, i think i must have spent about 5 hours on the phone and live chat to linksys now, im really running out of ideas
The only thing I can suggest is to post your problem here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys which is a linksys forum at dslreports.com
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 23:46   #9
pigsy1974
Inactive

thanks guys, its now here, there and on linksysinfo.org, lets see if someone has a solution.