View Single Post
Old 17-12-2016, 13:37   #19
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Southern Rail Strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Ok, I will run with it, please show me how the Rail Union is "trying to bring down the Government"?
There is no other rational explanation!

For once, I do partially agree with Arthur. Although it is the responsibility of the company to sort this out, and they are dreadfully inept, the Government should have put them on notice some time ago that if they continued to fail to meet their contractual obligations, the contract would be terminated and re-tendered, and the company would be barred from submitting a tender bid for any railway contract for 10 years.

As far as the company's employment strategy is concerned, why on earth have they continued to pay people who refuse to work normally? They should have terminated existing contracts in line with the termination clause and offered new ones with revised working practice obligations. Anyone not accepting would simply have no contract on the expiry of the existing contract and would no longer be an employee of Southern.

It's very straight forward actually, and I have put such arrangements in place during my previous employment and they worked like a dream. Of course, if the company threatened to change terms and conditions for the worse if they were forced to take that path, they could achieve a return to work a lot quicker and with a lot less hassle.

Of course, this can only work with good management that has a genuine desire to discuss issues with its employees and their representatives with a view to getting an agreement.

And before anyone starts banging on about employee rights, remember that this is a total non-issue. The current dispute is about working practices that are all up and running safely elsewhere. The unions are playing a game but they are doing their members no favours. Their irresponsible attitude will lead to a further tightening of trade union legislation because the unions are using strike action as a means of wearing down a government they don't like.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote