View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 17:19   #4134
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post
The Hobbit 10/10

3D HFR looks absolutely stunning and will hopefully be Industry standard at some point.
The critics who said it was 'meh' can get stuffed,this has hear,guts and magic just like LOTR did. Can't wait for the next one!
Finally saw the Hobbit, on DVD. Loved it.

Some people have complained that Jackson has stuffed what is essentially a short-ish children's story with too much additional material, but I don't see any other way he could have done it. Tolkein may have fleshed out Middle Earth after writing the Hobbit, but Jackson made the Hobbit after creating an on-screen version of Middle Earth. We know too much about Bilbo, Gandalf and Middle Earth for a 90-minute treatment to have worked.

Gandalf may not have been concerned about Sauron at the time the Hobbit was written, but when you look back on Tolkein's completed works and their timeline, it is inconceivable that he would not have been concerned, and would not have taken the opportunity to discuss it with the likes of Lord Elrond and Lady Galadriel.

Tolkein's great achievement is the creation of a universe and people, all of which have an existence before and after the stories that are told about them. Jackson has successfully translated that to the screen. I was enjoying being back in Middle Earth as much as I was enjoying the story that happened to be taking place there at the time. I can't wait for The Desolation of Smaug, although I may have to wait for the DVD again.

If I have any complaint at all, it would be that the exposition in the first half hour went from being far too rushed, in Bilbo's retelling of the fall of Erebor, to far too slow, in establishing the Company of Thorin. But once they got out on the road things went quite nicely.

8/10.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote