View Single Post
Old 27-03-2019, 13:21   #758
G4v1n
Inactive

G4v1n is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Once you deduct the cost of the existing pay tv channels, you make a nice saving, with more choice into the bargain. And in case you weren't listening, I did say that people were likely to pick and choose the services they wanted, not necessarily subscribe to them all.

That's quite different from what we have now, where you have to subscribe to a huge pile of channels you don't want just to get the few you do want.
I ditched my TV package to go Broadband only (and moved to the pay monthly sub) and saved enough to cover the costs of Now TV entertainment and movies, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

You can easily obtain deals on NowTV to make it cheaper (just cancel a pass and they offer you four months at a reduced price and will email you over the next few months with cheap offers) and many will have Amazon Prime anyway.

With the above bundle of streaming services the choice is just miles better than any like-priced satellite or cable package and infinitely better than what I was previously paying for on Virgin.

One caveat is that in the US at least, many content producers are looking to start their own streaming services and that will lead to hideous fragmentation and likely a repeat of what we have seen with TV services. For now though, you can save money and pick up a few streaming subs and get access to almost everything you would want to see.