View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 16:45   #26
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: New Years Honours List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Haven't your efforts on behalf of society been acknowledged yet? Never mind, I'm sure your time will come..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Mod Comment - and you need to focus on the debate, not the person.
Award yourself 3 infraction points Maggy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I give you Sir Ivan Rogers.
Resigned before being booted and has acted like a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
They don't need to have had 'being ambassadors' as a motivation but they become so anyway. They receive the honours for excelling in their profession. This is the common purpose of a national honours system. France's Légion d'honneur has many sporting recipients as does America's Presidential Medal of Freedom.

The awards don't map exactly as those awards are higher than what most sports stars receive here (IIRC A Knighthood has levels within it) but still.

It's the default gongs for civil servants and friends of politicians that's the problem, not sport stars.
I'm sorry but it is tripe. I can sort of understand an award for, say, years of research for the betterment of society or lifesaving because you are motivated to help others or singular medical progression/success but running/rowing/batting/strutting just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Some of the more recent awards have cheapened the honours so as to make them meaningless.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote