View Single Post
Old 17-05-2017, 19:29   #531
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: June 8th General Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I understand this Govt. has totally failed to generate any significant growth, although they are very good at cutting, I'll give them that.

p.s. I've never voted Labour.
I'd have been rather amazed if Labour had got re-elected in 2010 and achieved growth by 2017!

The efforts of the Conservatives have been concentrating on getting the deficit down so that they can then start tackling the debt left by Labour. They eased up on austerity given how it was hurting, and that's why they didn't achieve their original target of abolishing the deficit by now. I trust you are not criticising them for easing up on austerity...

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
And yet public sector debt is much bigger now than under labour and still rising, even after 7 years of austerity. Maybe the medicine isn't working.

And that's because the deficit is not yet paid off. You can't have it both ways. Either it's tougher austerity to pay off the deficit or it's lay off the austerity a bit and slow down deficit repayment. Unfortunately, the latter does mean the debt continues to rise.

I'm not sure that Diane Abbott and her friends understand this link, but then they probably haven't figured out that the debt and the deficit are two different things.