View Single Post
Old 22-06-2017, 10:00   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Brussels central station incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Just goes to show these lunatics are still out there and at least getting hold of guns is a lot harder in the UK. Imagine what the London Bridge **** would have been able to do with guns.
I was having a little argument about this with a friend on Facebook. He is English as emigrated to the US in around 2000.

Since emigrating to the US, he has become a bit of a gun nut, and has become right wing, even for the US. Which, as Hugh posted a while back, is considerably more right wing than us, as even the Democrats (who are considered a left wing party in the US) are roughly equivalent to the conservatives in their core beliefs. Odd really, as he was quite left wing (by our standards) over here, and a pacifist.

He has actually posted a lot of bull backing up Trump's assertions (he is a rabid Trump supporter) that the UK has become some sort of Muslim enclave.

He was posted about the London Bridge attack, and posted that Guns should be more freely available in the UK purely to stop things like this. I did have to point out that Guns are freely available in the US, and the US, if anything, has been hit by more of these attacks than we have, but he would not have it.

I did also have to point out that he lived in London in the late 70s/80s . He lived through the IRA's campaign. London was hit a lot more by the IRA than it has been by ISIS, and usually larger campaigns. He wasn't calling to arm people then (quite the opposite).

My point is that free availability of guns in the US has not helped their terrorist situation. And while I do know that certain states do not allow guns, there is nothing to stop someone crossing state lines with a gun.

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

Regarding the bombing, I am glad the guy was caught. Assuming he was Muslim (I don't know if he was or wasn't), he has not succeeded in his mission. He will not get any reward in heaven, just the knowledge that he is going to be stuck in a prison cell, worried that his other inmates will find out he tried to kill lots of people who live in Brussels (including, possibly, their family and friends).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote