Thread: UK Timeline Doctor Who
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 15:14   #196
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There will be a *lot* of audience research before they ever cast a female actor to play the doctor. No doubt in the meantime the feminist lobby will continue to complain about gender bias (while cheerfully ignoring the strange and un-feminist implications of turning 50 years of male backstory female, rather than simply building a strong female character from scratch and allowing her to stand on her own merits) but gender bias is the worst possible reason to do it. I hope that the senior people at the BBC have the good sense to see it.
Well I am saying they can't cast regardless of gender because if they decide to cast a female doctor that decision would have to be made before they begun casting.

I don't think they would be turning 50 years of male backstory to female though would they? 'She' would still have that backstory and have that backstory as a man. Those stories would still be her past. It would be a bad decision to do this for political reasons but I think it's justifiable as a creative decision to have to deal with that change. Although given recent seasons of Doctor Who I am not they could pull it off.

It's a change that wouldn't bother me but I am not really that into Doctor Who anyway. I'll watch it occasionally but am unaware of the canon of the show.

Last edited by Damien; 03-02-2017 at 15:18.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote