View Single Post
Old 14-10-2018, 07:54   #1547
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Government & Post Election Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Brexit was the result of the government not really listening to the electorate. [SEPH]: That doesn't make sense. In absolute terms Brexit was/is the result of the electorate's decision in the Referendum. If the government hadn't listened to the electorate, what was that about? What had the electorate told government (and how)?

People voted to leave as much in protest at the government as any other reason, despite the total leave assumption by those who took the voting options at face value. May compounded this with a bizarre set of manifesto pledges which ended up leaving them with no clear majority. [SEPH]: This is pure fantasy; you seem to be saying that people were fed up with Cameron's government (why?) and took it out on Cameron in this specific Referendum. Or maybe they were disappointed with Cameron being able to bring back better concessions in his relationship negotiation - which was always doomed as Brexit negotiations have been.

I see no further point in trying to change a closed mind regarding our undemocratic electoral system. Disillusionment with the governments we get lumped with will continue. [SEPH]: As it happens, I voted FOR the Alternative Single Transferable Vote proposition. But I don't find first past the post undemocratic; only Lib-Dems and other also ran generally feel that way. As to disillusionment with governments we get - PR wouldn't change that; it would be wrangling central as the Tory/Lib coalition more or less proved.

My advice is at your risk.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 14-10-2018 at 08:54. Reason: typo