View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 09:13   #3
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat
Re: Recommendation for router

Quote:
Originally Posted by charikaar
Can anyone please recommend a decent router.I've 3 computers and want to enable ICS on them using a single IP. These computers are placed in different rooms.

A friend told me router is what i need for my ntl 300k cable modem but i am not sure what extra components I'll need in addition to router i.e cables etc(straight or x-ver).

I think ebay would be a good place to grab a bargin if you recommend a decent brand.

Thank you for help in advance.

Charikaar
If you get a router - then you will not need to use ICS, as the router sits between your CM/STB and your computers

Brand wise, I would recommend Linksys or Netgear - although if money is an object, Belkin are pretty reasonable and normally very cheap.

you will need to run a straight through Cat 5 cable from each PC to the router, and another from the router to the CM/STB.

each machine will need a network card (you can pick them up for about £10 each these days).

If money is no object - then maybe look at a wireless setup - that way you don't have cables running from room to room. (WiFi PCI cards can be got as cheaply as £20, and the router will be a little more expensive).

HTH
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote