View Single Post
Old 13-01-2008, 00:51   #21
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Virgin VoD vs. Sky Anytime - Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_b View Post
I think that Sky Anytime is pretty pointless really. Since it only downloads programmes of channels that you are subscribed to. I would think that the user would rather hand pick which programmes they want off their subscribed channels than waste hard disk space on what Sky want to put on.
Actually Sky Anytime downloads shows selected from across the full spectrum of Sky DTV Channels but you can only watch shows from channels to which you are subscribed. This of course leads to half of your HDD being filled up with shows you cannot watch which is doubly annoying. It is purely a marketing tool and not a very good one at that because of it's high annoyance rating. For instance although I know it won't regain any HDD space I have turned it off purely out of spite. This service is, regrettably, a negative point to what is otherwise almost a flawless service.
Quote:
Virgins on demand service is very good, the catch up tv is good, especially if you don't have a V+ box but if you do have a V+ box then its not as useful as you can just choose what you want to record so that you don't miss it.
VM's VOD idea was good but let down by poor implementation. In my case it was quite regularly unavailable or crashed the STB. When I did get in I found the content extremely haphazard with eps missing or duplicated or complete series just disappearing and even complete sections just becoming completely devoid of content. After a while I just gave up on accessing it.
As for catchup TV, well I found, more often than not, it wasn't even updated for days and days on end. The choice of shows available was also completely catch as catch can. IMO it has a very limited worth and is really just in the realms of a gimmick.
Of particular annoyance was the number of shows on both services that were marked as WS but which in fact dispayed as 4:3. A bit of crafty BW frugality on VM's part I presume.
Quote:
Top Up TV Anytime is better than Sky Anytime because you can't watch a programme when it is on because of the bandwidth shortage on freeview. The problem again is that this eats up all the disk space that you might want for your own personal recordings. All 3 services have there pros and cons which most services do. But with the PVR's I think that providers should give options for different sized hard disks especially with HD content coming out or enable the USB Ports on the boxes so that external hard drives can be hooked up.
Agreed, current HDD space is going to be quite insufficient for HD.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote