View Single Post
Old 13-04-2017, 08:25   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Why can't I change DNS servers in the SH3?

For £150 I would highly recommend the Asus AC68u. I bought it in February and absolutely love it.

As Kosh said (and I go on and on about it being a basic and essential feature in my rants in other router threads) it is another feature which VM have got to support. From their end they can see if their dns servers and whatever else on the network which is essential for your connection to be up is up is up and running. Just imagine if you changed your dns server to google, went to work and google's dns goes down your wife rings VM and says the internet connection is down because she can't open Hotmail.com. Troubleshooting connectivity issues can be taxing enough and throwing dns in to the mix which most people wouldn't understand (customers) just makes it even more complicated and the only way an agent would could address the issue is if he logged in to the shub and checked the settings himself.

I understand VM's stance on this and tbh I agree with them. For those of us who are fussy enough to want to change our dns servers it follows that we would also be fussy enough to want our own 3rd party router anyway because it would offer more than one benefit over the shub.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote