View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 08:44   #3
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Why can't I change DNS servers in the SH3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
I just don't understand why Virgin Media would release a piece of hardware without this essential feature?
Think of it from Virgin's perspective - every additional option in their equipment is something else to train agents on, something else customers can fiddle with to break their systems and something else to go wrong. From Virgin's perspective, it's not "essential" at all, it's a needless expense that won't benefit 99% of their users but will cause issues for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Does that mean that I now need to buy a decent router from another company and run the SH3 in modem only mode to get this feature?

If so what router should I get? I have a budget of around £150 I guess.
This is a capital idea. The more popular routers at the moment are Asus' which fit nicely into your budget. You could get the N66-U, probably the most popular of their routers, for about £85 but being wireless-n it's starting to show its age a bit. I'd say if you have the budget, swing for an AC model and future proof yourself.

They have features up the wazoo, they're reliable and the firmware is great. On my N66-U, I have no problem maxing out my 200mbit on wireless, I haven't used Virgin's DNS for years either.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote