View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 13:37   #6
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: Trying to sort freeview

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
In the analogue days I believe that people could connect their VM cable straight into their TV to receive channels 1-5.

If your TV has a built in cable tuner you may be able be able to tune into the FTA channels, is this what you were thinking of?

This, however, is against VM t&C's and others have said that this may cause noise to go onto the network and affect your neighbours.

You get less than Freeview anyway, so if I were you I'd do as others have said and connect your TV to an aerial.

As you have a phone line from VM, I believe that you can have the basic TV service for free, however, as you'd have to take a TiVo PVR this would usually cost an extra £5 per month.

As SP says, maybe give them a call to see if they will do you a deal as you already get two services from them.

Let us know how you got on
The cable was never fed direct to the TV. The analogue cable converters had a PSB bypass adaptor on the back that took the standard UHF channels 1 - 4 to the TV along with any alternate BBC/ITV region. Judging by the amount of times this bypass "blew" during thunderstorms I was rather glad it wasn't connected directly to the TV.

Cable tuners on TV's are designed for open type systems used in Europe, where there is some free content & the CAM slot on the TV is used for subs channels. Virgin is a closed system & requires an STB so they have more control over possible piracy. It also means you have to rent the box.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote