View Single Post
Old 19-08-2015, 08:56   #68
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Problem is that these days it's the WiFi itself and not the WAN connection that's the bottleneck. When you are sharing the WiFi then other users will affect your connection even if there's dedicated bandwidth upstream of the router.
That may well be so, but in practical terms very few of us in residential streets are going to have enough people using our hotspot for long enough and heavily enough for us to notice. To log on to your spot they are going to need to be using Virgin Mobile and sharing their own Virgin hotspot anyway. My neighbour on VM will not be using my hotspot because he has his own. So, it has to be down to passers-by.

As I said elsewhere ( http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...ming-your.html ) only two people have logged on to my pure FON hotspot in the last 10 years even though there are 100s of thousands of people sharing their BT Fon hotspots to give them the right to roam. I tested my FON spot only yesterday and it gave me 10Mb download in the street and 8Mb upload, so it is worth using. ( I got similar figures of my ASUS router connected to my SH. ) Mostly what will happen is as people pass my house their device will automatically log on to my hotspot and then log off again as they move on. Just maybe they will notice and stop to make a call or have a quick browse., but seeing as how they can go stand by one of our two street boxes dishing out 300Mb then why bother standing outside my house getting perhaps 20Mb from my 300Mb connection?

The main thrust, and usage, of the VM WiFi network will be in public place like stations and quite possibly around street boxes.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote