View Single Post
Old 26-01-2017, 19:38   #80
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: Films to see in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Oh yeah it was definitely Nolan. Batman has the additional advantage of already been a gritty and dark universe which lends itself well to modern films at the moment. It's easier to see how you create an compelling and relevant story with Batman than with Superman.Nolan was also given far more creative control than recent Superhero movies. Joss Whedon has complained a number of times of how Marvel would micromanage the whole process. The Nolan Batman films were their own films that existed by themselves, now it's more of an industry and creative decisions are limited by the fact they have to co-exist with many other films across the Marvel Universe.

Maybe DC should go back to the old way of doing it. Get a team they trust and give them a franchise for a film or three that can stand on their own. Instead of trying to do the Marvel Universe thing.
Agreed, the attempt to compete is pretty hopeless and moving backwards to separate universe trilogy's like Nolans Dark Knight trilogy would suit them so much better as you've said. Still can't find myself disagreeing that The Dark Knight is pretty much the greatest superhero movie made over both DC and Marvel. Nolan is still around too looking over things Snyder does but it still doesn't feel great. Marvel don't get it their own way either though. I feel like Age of Ultron was quite overrated. The introduction to Ultron set Ultron up to be an epic Villain, the Disney quotations in a twisted way was an epic scene... It just kinda tanks from then on in.

Another problem I see for Marvel and probably relates to your comments about micromanaging is how massive their merchandise base has become, Disney of course doing absolutely everything possible to make sure they have everything of absolutely anything to sell to kids and adults alike. They need those on screen characters doing exactly the right thing.

All in all, Chris Nolan and Heath Ledger combined in the second movie of a trilogy and absolutely smashed it. The greatest on screen Joker I've ever seen.