View Single Post
Old 13-08-2013, 13:21   #38
badoerfan
cf.member

badoerfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why are we still bothering with SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Maybe I'm being a bit thick here, but why are you concerned with the channel numbering system?

If you are only interested in the HD channels, then why not just select HD on the EPG when looking for the channel you want?
Because I'm not 'only interested in HD channels. Frequently I'll be flicking through the channels looking for something to watch, and find something interesting on ITV4 or Comedy Central, only to then be confronted by the 'oh god, what number is ITV4 HD? 182? 168? Somewhere around here... 175? Eventually I'll find it, but it'd be a lot less effort to have the channel lower down - who wants to watch the SD version of a channel they have in HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
That may sometimes have a hidden advantage. I remember reading a post a while back now, by someone that said that Tivo will pick the highest numbered channel to record a wishlist item from, if the same whishlist show appears at the same time on two different channels.

I can't say that I've studied this at all, but I have noticed that whishlist shows that turn up on Sky One or Living tend to pick up the HD channel and some whishlist shows that turn up on the BBC are sometimes on the BBC1 Eng and BBC2 Eng channels. It could be pure coincidence though?
I think you may be right, and that's a very good point. I do wish they could at least stay grouped together (on channels 131, 132 and 133, for example), rather than shoving the HD variant up high.
badoerfan is offline   Reply With Quote