Thread: UK Timeline Top of the Pops set to return
View Single Post
Old 21-04-2015, 18:31   #21
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Top of the Pops set to return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Why?
Because the music industry hasn't had decent coverage on the mainstream TV channels for years (certainly since the T4 strand was taken off channel 4). In fact, the ONLY coverage I can see on the mainstream channels (1 to 5) is the odd guest spot on Strictly, 30 seconds either side of every ad break on Sunday Brunch and whatever TV show Simon Cowell happens to be on (which is usually produced by his own TV company and only has guest spots from acts he is linked to).

Finally, the teen to 25 age group are not, as far as I can see, catered for at all by the mainstream channels beyond BBC Three, E4, Hollyoaks and ITV Be. BBC Three is about to go online only. E4 is largely US shows (which can be obtained legally and illegally by other means anyway), which leaves Hollyoaks and ITV Be. The TV companies know that they need to compete with various online sites for the teenagers attention, but seem to be unwilling to do so. I find this surprising, particularly for the commercial channels as this is the demographic that tends to have the highest percentage of disposable income (they are less likely to have things like kids and mortgages).

TOTP, while it may not be perfect (or even good), would at least be an *attempt* by a mainstream channel to compete for this potentially lucrative audience. OK, so the BBC aren't supposed to be interested in this sort of thing, but they *are* supposed to represent what the population are interested in, and , with BBC Three going online only, it could be argued they will no longer be representing the interests of a lot of people.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote