View Single Post
Old 07-02-2023, 12:39   #21
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Re: AM Radio fading into history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I always thought it odd that two Liverpool stations (City and BBC R Merseyside) had AM frequencies consisting of the same four numbers (1548 and 1485).
and there were several different stations across the UK using both frequencies and this would not have helped with reception, especially after dark.

It always seemed strange that so many frequencies on MW across the UK never seemed to get used.

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post

When the radio Cleveland frequency was dropped in 1992, the ILR service for that area (Radio Tees) was already established using 1170kHz. I can only speculate that two changes occurred around this time with other ILR services that may have caused contention issues, as both Radio Forth & Radio City had to re-site their 1548 masts due to local issues.
I always assumed that the removal of all of the MW transmitters for BBC local stations in the early 1990s was so that they could be re-used for news commercial stations rather than just those surrendered by BBC Radios GLR, GMR and WM.

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Back in the day, BBC Merseyside and City both preferred to advertise their AM service as metres rather than KHz. I guess they just fitted better on window stickers. The BBC was on 202 and Radio City was 194 - which was the basis of their name and their main jingle well into the 1980s when it was our evening listening of choice (they went deep into the comedy jock genre with this bloke who called himself Cousin Matty IIRC, may have been (but probably wasn’t) American, had an echo effect permanently on his mic and had people phone in to pledge allegiance to him (I will have no other leader!).
as did Radio 1, which was seen as bring on 275 and 285 rather than 1089 and 1053. However, BBC 5 Live always said 909 and 693.

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

In the USA there were stereo broadcasts on AM (MW and not LW as radio in America didn't use long wave). I wonder if it would have worked in the UK and if so, if it might have extended the lifespan of AM, and maybe stereo broadcasts might have been very helpful to the gold AM stations, Virgin 1215 and Atlantic 252.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote