View Single Post
Old 19-07-2018, 12:59   #85
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Las Vegas: Mass shooting in Mandalay Bay

Sadly, I can well believe the US would look at things installing scanning equipment in the hotel rather than working to resolve the problem at the source.

It won't solve the problem. Suing the victims diverts blame and may protect the company from legal action, but it will hurt their public image, which may well end up costing more than the legal action(s) would have.

Where's the blame though? MGM Resorts are trying to blame the company that provided security, but what were they supposed to do? Hold the event in a bullet proof building, and ensure that all the exits and entrances are covered? Booked every room in the Mandelay Bay within sight of the event?

The shooter? Well, yes, but suing him is unlikely to be profitable. His family? They are likely innocent, and probably couldn't afford the legal action anyway.

I've often said I think Guns need to be controlled more tightly, but I don't agree with a full gun ban.

IMO, Guns should be restricted, as they are in this country (it is possible to legally own a gun in this country, but even then there are restrictions, like keeping it away from the ammo). That's not the whole solution. There also needs to be a massive amnesty to enable people to hand in unlicensed guns. Bearing in mind the number of guns is greater than the number of people in the country, it would probably be the largest gun amnesty ever.

Even that's not the whole solution. The Authorities can (if they have the will, which they seem not to) restrict guns, and launch amnesties. But, they can't do the third thing. US Society needs to change it's "guns are good" attitude. They don't need to do a 180 and start preaching "Guns are bad", but they do need to stop almost worshipping them. The Authorities would also need to advertise (online, on TV, on the radio and by holding courses) that guns are not to be worshipped.

That is not going to happen over night, it would actually likely take decades. It also won't happen when so many politicians are paid for by the NRA.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote