View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 13:20   #7
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

Services: ultimate oomph bundle M500
trevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nice
Re: IP Camera Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I don't want to sound too harsh but this is what happens when you buy cheap stuff. Routers (isp supplied or otherwise) are always setup with an ip of 192.168.1.1 (like my Linksys routers) or 192.168.0.1 (as with the shubs). In your case it sounds like a default gateway/subnet has been set in the camera software and although you would expect to be able to change it the fact that you can't leads me to believe that poor development costs have either resulted in them writing the settings into the software which can't be changed or there is a bug in the software which they haven't fixed which won't let you change it.

Either way, the only way round it as Matt said is to change the ip addressing scheme for your network to bring it in line with the settings on the cameras. Your pc shouldn't care to much because all the addresses are going to be managed by the shub. The problem you are going to have is whether the shub lets you do it or not. 3rd party routers will let you change the address completely as well as the subnet mask but the shub's used to be set in concrete. On shub1 you was stuck with 192.168.0.1, I don't know if that has changed now.
Thanks for the reply.

As i have alluded, i believe it could be that the software has a bug as the instruction manual certainly shows modifying the assigned camera ip address AND the gateway assigned at start up. AS said I'm not a technophobe, I'm a software tester/anayst, but networks are not my cup of tea, so messing with the settings on the router are not where i really want to go. But if I have to, and the SH2 allows me to change stuff, what happens to all the other devices connected to the network,my PC, the wife's laptop and several wireless devices ? Ultimately I want to use the camera wireless and not 'hard wired'. I no doubt will be back here...I'm rather quite embarrassed that I don't know this stuff

TrevP

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
What make of cheap on camera is it?
it's not branded...I will check through some of software

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

Right. Progress

I assigned the camera a different ip address on the the gateway that it was defaulting to, and hey presto..it accepted that! Happy days.

And now I can see images from the camera on the newly assigned ip address.

Now how to set up for wireless access...it will be another minefield for me !

TrevP

Last edited by trevrpb; 09-07-2016 at 13:42.
trevrpb is offline   Reply With Quote