View Single Post
Old 28-10-2013, 11:18   #56
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Bedside digital clock. The time setting buttons went all floppy when I tried to put the hour back. Opened it up and a pillar supporting the switch PCB had broken off from the case.

I made up a "dam" from 2mm foam tape and this contained some Araldite to hold the broken pillar:

Attachment 25031

Here's the PCB assemblys, has "click domes" that are pressed by the buttons:

Attachment 25032

Removed the foam tape and reassembled. Works a treat now.

Did something similar when our bathroom DAD radio suffered a broken volume button. It turned out to be just a small broken piece of plastic which was there to secure the rocker type button in place directly above the actual switch. Managed to wedge something in there to hold the button in place and the set's been working fine for the last couple of years. If it goes again I know exactly what to do.

Yesterday I fixed a much loved glass clock given to us as a wedding present. The thing had stopped ticking some time ago and a new battery hadn't done the trick. Looking at it, I soon realised that the battery operated clock mechanism was exactly the same as another we had in a horrid cheap clock we were going to throw away. I disassembled the glass clock, removed the hands, then took out the clock mechanism and simply replaced it with the donor assembly. Unfortunately the hands aren't exactly the same as the originals from the faulty unit wouldn't fit on it but I don't suppose anyone else would notice.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote