Thread: The PS4 Thread
View Single Post
Old 23-02-2013, 19:01   #30
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Ps4 no thanks

Only "Other OS" was taken out via a firmware update.

PS2 backwards compatibility was removed via taking out the last remaining PS2 chip inside the PS3 during another hardware revision. It wasn't removed from PS3s that already had it.

The first generation of PS3s, as launched in Japan and North America, contained both the actual PS2 CPU ("Emotion Engine") and GPU ("Graphics Synthesizer" [sic]). This enabled full PS2 backwards compatibility via hardware.

The second generation, as launched in Europe, contained only the PS2 GPU. PS2 backwards compatibility was achieved via that plus software emulation of the CPU.

The third generation onwards, beginning with the "40GB Fat", contained no PS2 hardware at all, and featured no PS2 backwards compatibility at all.

First and second generation PS3s can still play PS2 games, regardless of firmware updates.

-----------

As for the PS4... I'll wait.

I don't have the space, connections, or plug sockets for another console, so could not have a PS4 and keep my PS3... and I don't want to get rid of my PS3 unless I can still play the Uncharted games and a few others.

Once the price goes down, and once the PS3 game streaming eventually comes about, then I'll consider getting one.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote