View Single Post
Old 30-08-2017, 09:35   #2706
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I presume they've been attending the same school of wishful thinking the Conservatives have with their thinking that the EU would be fine with our leaving the EEA and CU while simultaneously continuing to have the benefits of both.

The same one that supplies a train of thought tying the length of any UK transition to the UK's election cycle rather than the needs of UK businesses.

Neither party is especially bothered with negotiation with the European Union or the welfare of our economy and businesses here, both care far more about negotiation with the UK electorate and, especially, media.

I'm just reading comments from a former Vote Leave staffer indicating that, in his opinion, Vote Leave did not advocate leaving the EEA and their literature made a point of making examples of Iceland and Switzerland.

There was also mention of being in a free trade zone stretching from Iceland to Turkey. Iceland is an EEA nation, Turkey is mostly within the Customs Union.

Individuals associated with the campaign advocated as such, the campaign as a whole did not.

Obviously this is the same campaign that was running from the 350 million bus, though.

I suppose it's good the debate is happening however I fully imagine a destructive cliff-edge end to the negotiations. The UK has amazing people but has so far utterly failed to achieve anything notable, and the EU has made if a point of being transparent, but in turn weaponised bureaucracy.
The ultimate solution must involve getting back our sovereignty, taking back control of immigration, no more excessive payments to be wasted by the EU and making our own trade deals.

All this talk of remaining in the common market or customs union is irrelevant if any of these cannot be achieved by so doing, because those were the main points made by the Leave campaigners and are what resonated with the public.

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think the Ukip voters defecting to the Conservatives explain why Theresa May is taking the position she is taking. A softer approach to Brexit could result in the Conservative vote being threatened in some constituencies in the event of a by-election. And every seat counts as the DUP knows.
But the Government also knows that the current approach could lead to companies leaving the UK, and not just the banks which attract less public sympathy than car workers. That is why the UK Government is working hard behind the scenes to try and keep manufacture of the next Astra in Ellesmere Port. Closure of this factory blamed on Brexit could influence public opinion towards Brexit negatively. It has an impossible job.
Labour needs to take a different approach particularly if it wants to hold onto the younger pro-EU electorate.
Andrew, we cannot have a 'sofr' or 'softer' approach to Brexit if it means we cannot make our own trade deals. We cannot make Brexit work without this.