View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 21:17   #1023
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: June 8th General Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think what happens after will be interesting. Is there now a new divide in the country? Brexit seems to have settled but there seems to be a great deal of anger and division over issues like inequality and public services. Basically austerity.

It's something I don't think the Conservatives banked on when May called it and whilst they'll almost certainly win, and IMO with a nice majority, I think there will be lingering resentment over those issues and the way the campaign happened. May will win because of Corbyn but I see her becoming unpopular.

And will that mean May has to deal with the Brexit talks whilst contending with a backlash against Austerity? Is so does that impact upon the talks themselves?
If there was another Labour leader who kept came across as more pro-British (for the army, NHS and Royal Family), kept Corbyn's popular policies (renationalise the utilities, railways and end austerity) and more strongly against immigration then I reckon we'd be seeing a huge Labour landslide. As it is, I see the Conservatives winning by 70 seats especially as the under 25s seem unlikely to start voting as much as the pensioners.