View Single Post
Old 05-05-2023, 23:46   #50
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Re: AM Radio fading into history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The significance for UK radio listeners isn’t with RTE directly, it’s that during the mid 1980s to the mid 1990s the frequency was leased by a commercial radio station called Atlantic 252 which was essential listening for teens and young adults at the time (like me).
and me

---------- Post added at 23:46 ---------- Previous post was at 23:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
After Atlantic 252 closed down the frequency reverted to RTE, the Irish state broadcaster. I guess they have been using it for their main radio output since then.
Atlantic 252 closed won at the start of 2002 after it became clear that pop music on long wave was no longer commercially viable, similar to the view taken by RTL a decade earlier when they closed down Radio Luxembourg.

The frequency used later in 2002 by a sports news station called Teamtalk 252 but that only lasted a few months.

Eventually, RTE started using the frequency to broadcast not only to Irish ex-pats in the Uk but also to carry the AM opt-puts such as religious programming and additional sports coverage.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote