View Single Post
Old 16-02-2015, 16:42   #6
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are charities a business?

The thing that gets me is the "subcontracting" that goes on regarding collecting donations. I work for a charity (a reasonably large one, but Wales only) and we don't sub out donations (I think the only place where we have to pay a fee is via JustGiving or similar). I also donate to charities locally where I know the good cause and support it (for example the local Orthopaedic Hospital).

What I don't do is give on the doorstep to people who have clearly been sent on a "round" knocking on doors for a subcontracted company. The most recent example was someone collecting for Tenovous. A pleasant young lady with a Tenovous vest knocks on the door and starts offering the usual script. I kindly point out that there's a tenovous shop on the high street in town five miles away and that I always donate through that.

It must be a total coincidence that all of these "collectors" seem to be about student age and have Mancunian accents (I live in North Wales) and seem to turn up about 10 mins after the bus has been...
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote