View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 16:25   #1
alifen
Inactive

alifen is an unknown quantity at this point
Static IPs, Routed Subnets, GRE tunnels, poor performance and "The Fix"

Hello all,

I have read almost every thread I can find on this topic and haven't yet been able to piece together the answers to my questions. Please don't direct me to the search function -- I have been hammering it for a good few hours!

I have tried to lay out all my questions below in the hope someone might be able to help easily.

[Q1] I understand that in the past the 50 Mb/s service with a static IP block was delivered via a routed subnet. Am I correct in interpreting this to mean the following two things are true?

(a) There was no GRE tunnel.
(b) The modem was assigned a dynamic IP and a subnet was routed to it by virtue of a routing table entry in the VM network, i.e. just as the BT Infinity service works.

[Q2] There is lots of documented examples of poor performance on the 350 Mb/s service with a static IP block (this is what I, as of last week, am on). There is also lots of the the "fix" coming in August or early September. Is the fix expected to be:

(a) Replacement of GRE tunnels with routed subnets that work as above.
(b) A firmware fix that keeps GRE tunnels, but improves packet handling so to alleviate the problems.
(c) Something else.

[Q3] What relation is the Puma 6 fix to the 350 Mb/s service with static IPs? My sense is 'none', but I can't find that stated explicitly and some people seem to be be conflating the issues.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
alifen is offline   Reply With Quote