View Single Post
Old 19-10-2017, 16:56   #3089
jj20x

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I rang VM to tell them about it, press 1, press, 2 etc and entered my password. Only at that point did it tell me they were closed until 8am grrrrrr. It was at that point that I really decided that it was time for bed
Fun times, at least you didn't get through to the call centre in India only to be advised that you can use the downtime to make a cup of tea or coffee. So helpful...

Quote:
One thing that makes me doubt my own theory is why all the coded names? BBC local radio is hardly earth shattering . Maybe they are to follow Sky and use codes all the time to frustrate the likes of us!
Indeed, using coded names would make sense, such as with the abortive Amazon Video tests. Maybe not for BBC services though.

Quote:
Also, ViLoR isn't infallible:

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2017/09/eig...s-fall-silent/
Yes, I remember that. Unfortunate that a fault with centralised equipment can lead to the whole network falling over. So much for progress...

Quote:
There are currently 15 local BBC1's (the three Nations are already HD) and BBC2 Scotland (the only difference is the last 20 minutes of Newsnight)

This makes a total of 16!
Don't forget that BBC Two also has variations for Wales & NI and VM probably wouldn't be interested in HD variations for the Channel Islands, not having a cable tv service there. The important point here is that they aren't going to get 16 HD streams on one "national" transport stream. Technically. HD & SD channels can co-exist on the same transport stream, although VM usually keep them separate. TS ID 44 usually carries pop-up SD channels.

Quote:
Only the other week, the Points Of View programme answered a viewers question about the time being taken to roll out the regional variations in HD. They said that budgetary constraints had led to them having to use "imaginative ways" to carry out the task.

Maybe they meant that it will be delivered over the internet??
It sounds like another excuse to kick the can further down the road.

Quote:
The use of codes may be that they want to keep it secret before making a formal announcement for all platforms.
Although, in theory, an Ofcom licence should be issued before any broadcasts start. Not that Ofcom are 100% reliable at publishing the details promptly.

Last edited by jj20x; 19-10-2017 at 17:05.