View Single Post
Old 17-04-2024, 12:31   #16
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: MPs to vote on smoking ban for those born after 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Is his point not that they are (within a reasonable margin of error) pretty much the same across the whole spectrum?

It doesn’t require anything more than someone who favours banning but not the other to consider why the same doesn’t apply and what the difference is. If your point would be that it’s not as addictive then fine. But I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss the comparison as whataboutery.

(For the declaration I don’t smoke but do enjoy the odd beer, rum or glass of wine)

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

I think there’s something in the fact very many people can enjoy drinking in moderation in a way that isn’t often found in smokers. Growing up I knew of far more adults who smoked 20 or 30 a day, those still alive now paying the price in terms of their health, than would sit and drink to excess daily or even weekly.

That’s not to say there aren’t people who do, or that their addictions haven’t caused the same or worse financial, social or health impacts.
Not sure there are people who only smoke when they they drink, there’s those who smoke <= 10 a day, then you get to my level at about 20 a day and then you can move up the scale to 40/60 a day. Although I don’t know many in that last bracket

One thing this will most likely lead to is an increase in the production/consumption of counterfeit cigarettes and the lovingly known as ‘fag houses’