View Single Post
Old 15-06-2014, 22:24   #8
Paulsutherland
Inactive

Paulsutherland is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Any Kelly Communications Openreach Contractors Here? Opinions Welcome

Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I was called a year and a half ago for a telephone interview, but couldn't attend the training at that time. I was contacted in February this year, passed a telephone interview and was invited onto the training course on April this year.

I was told I would have to do a minimum of 4 jobs per day. Each job was paid at different amounts. I was told it was a self employed position and I would be paid through LCL, a CIS payment company fortnightly.

At NO point during either telephone interview was I told that I MUST work away from home 1 week in 4 in Aberdeen.
I accepted the training position and was emailed all the information required for accommodation etc.

I started 2 weeks training in Dunstable on April 28th, travelling down from Bathgate in Scotland both weeks of my training.

The first 2 days were held in a hotel 20 minutes from Dunstable. Both days involved "training" on H&S, using the company vehicle, rules relating to the job etc.
ALL the answers to the questions were given to us by the trainers. We were all to sit a formal test on the first day, the trainer told us that it was a formal test, no talking, no using our smart phones etc to get the answers and no copying from each other. Then he went into tell us "the test will last 20 minutes, I'm leaving the meeting room for 20 minutes to make a phone call".

EVERY part of the training was a joke. All the trainers gave the answers to all tests taken and everyone passed at 100% pass mark.
Days 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 We were all to carry out pole training & further tests. We were told of we failed the pole training we were to retrain or we would have no job. 2 guys failed, but guess what? Both were put out in the field without having to pole train again. On day 3 a guy called Brin came to speak to us about how we would be paid. He worked for LCL, I asked lots of questions but it was like trying to pull teeth. He was NOT forthcoming with answers. I states in the LCL contract you will be deducted £500 for training if you leave/sacked within 12 months. I asked about this, but was not given a straight answer.

I started my training in Scotland at the Bathgate office on the third Monday. I was told to come to the office for 8. I arrived, but guess what? No engineer to take me out. They ended up calling a guy 2.5 hours away in Fife to come pick me up. He arrived around 1020. I felt sorry of him, but he had no choice. He made it clear what I was getting into & that I must take my turn 1 in 4 to go and work in Aberdeen for a week at a time.
Day 2 I was out with what hey called a SENIOR engineer. Another joke, this guy installed the 2 jobs he had the complete opposite of what the showed us in the training school. Run cables under carpets, under carpet bars, round door checks etc and fitted NTEs on top of carpet. Really crap installs.
This SENIOR engineer said the same as the guy from day 1, told me axactly what the job was like and that I must take my turn 1 in 4 to go and work in Aberdeen for a week at a time.
Days 3, 4 & 5 the SENIOR engineer refused to take me out.

Week four, days 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 were a complete joke. The next SENIOR engineer was bish bash bosh. Cut corners, completed installs as quickly as possible and left them below BT training standard. Took GREAT delight in telling me he takes engineers wages off them for fixing jobs they can't complete due to faults at the exchange.

It's far to easy to lose money carrying out price work for Kelly's. the training is well below standard, with the trainers giving you 100% of the answers during the tests so everyone passes and gets out in the field.

The engineers that your out working with dont want to spend the time to help you get experience, they just want to get the jobs in make money and go home AND want to take your wages too for fixing faults that's not your fault.

Then when I speak to the area manager to ask him about the 1 in 4 working away issue I'm told if I'm not happy to do it I've no job.

I tell him I can't work away due to family and other working commitments, I'm told if I'm carrying out other work of my own I'm no good to Kelly's. please bear in mind, YOUR SELF EMPLOYED so why would you ONLY be doing work for Kelly's???

They took £500 from my send last wage, bumped me out if 2 days training money and almost didn't pay me the other 3 days. I asked LCL for proof of the deduction, it took them 2 weeks to provide the deduction proof in black & white. It was like trying to pull teeth, Kelly's did not want to provide it to me.
Currently taking advice from ACAS & a local solicitor.

All in all THE WORST EXPERIENCE SO FAR.

If you have any questions please ask away.

Please please AVOID AVOID AVOID Kelly's like the plague.
Paulsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote