View Single Post
Old 18-08-2017, 10:16   #5
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Peanut allergy breakthrough?

The really terrible things about these reactions is the way they develop and you have no idea how bad it's going to be. Some years ago, Osem Jnr #2 was given, very stupidly, a chocolate coin (likely contaminated with nuts) by a member of the school's support staff. It was a well intentioned treat but his mouth/face soon started to swell up and carried on even after being given the normal dose of Chlorfenamine. An ambulance was called, more anti-histamine given and on the way to the hospital his face swelling started to subside. Phew. We were seen by various medical staff and told they'd need to observe him for a good few hours so we stayed there. About an hour later he started getting itchy around his neck and looking a bit red. Over the next 10-20 mins his entire body started coming up in hives. They were appearing before my eyes and it was terrifying. The docs decided to give a liquid steroid and over the next hour or so things calmed down and went back to normal thankfully. We were warned though that at any time over the next 24 hours he might relapse so we'd need to keep a close eye on him. I really can't think of a more frightening experience.

There are many allergy sufferers living with what amounts to a ticking time bomb and never knowing whether something they're going to be exposed to might kill them. It's truly awful for everyone concerned so I'm hoping that one day they'll find the answer and be able to make these people's lives normal again.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote