View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 12:09   #4
Tribe123
cf.member

Tribe123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bad Signal in a Good Signal Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
You may be in a good signal area, but to drive the amount of coaxial cable required to service 3 TVs is pushing it unless you have line of sight to the transmitting mast. Is the splitter indoors or up next to the aerial? An internal splitter will not perform as well as one near the source. Any powered splitter is better externally fitted & powered through the coax.

Boosters have their own issues as they induce noise (as you have already found out). The BBC B HD mux is the highest frequency broadcast from Pontop Pike, so this mux failing is symptomatic of a high noise level in the coax.

So, I would be getting your aerial installer in again. I hope he wasn't one of the cheap & nasty brigade. CAI+ approved outfits are usually more dependable than the "guy down the road".

If you have not got line of sight to the transmitter consider, 1) whether a taller mast would be advantageous. Even a few feet of height in some locations can double the signal received at the masthead. 2) A powered masthead splitter, with as much as possible equal legs of coax going to where the TV sets are located.
Thanks for the advice, i think i'm going to get a booster near the source. Is there a register for CAI+ installers? The guy I used is very well recommended locally, but it would be interested to see if he is a registered installer and if not getting a registered one to add the booster.
Tribe123 is offline   Reply With Quote