Thread: TiVo Tivo and Slingbox
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 18:11   #13
mypalpop
Inactive

mypalpop is on a distinguished roadmypalpop is on a distinguished road
Re: Tivo and Slingbox

Ok - 24 hrs in these are my reflections:

1) I have connected the Slingbox via the scart output (my tv is connected via an HDMI cable).

If I try to stick my telly on standby and then watch via the Slingbox, I get a message telling me that I can't watch without first unplugging the HDMI cable. This also happens when I switch my TIVO on using the Slingbox. This seems to be some kind of (very frustrating) technical problem.

I can overcome this by ensuring the TIVO is on and then switching my telly off at the wall. Obviously, this is far from ideal as I need to remember to do this every time there is a chance that I might use the Slingbox.

Anyone know if there is a solution or if the forthcoming update will fix this?

2) I had assumed that as I have the 30 mg broadband, I'd have a 3 mg upload speed, but no. Apparently my area (Perth) has yet to be upgraded so I'm stuck with a maximum quality of 1 meg when I'm out and about. As I am moving abroad, and will use the Slingbox daily as my main source of TV, this is a major drawback. My recommendation is to check first.

3) The Slingbox, doesn't natively support the VM TIVO, so I have configured it as a V+ box and it seems to work fine. I haven't found anything that the V+ remote isn't able to do on the TIVO.

4) I have been impressed with the Slingbox itself - its much smaller than I had expected (I have the Solo), the web software seems to just work and the quality of the stream is good (great over wifi). Not sure if it'll be able to keep up with the football when I'm not on wifi, but we'll see.

Overall, despite its faults I'm glad I purchased it and hope I'll get a lot out of use from it. It's just a shame that the TIVO doesn't play ball with it properly!
mypalpop is offline   Reply With Quote