View Single Post
Old 26-03-2020, 19:34   #1
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Looking for advice on running Ethernet in the walls

I've wanted to do this for ages, but I'm struggling to find solid guidance on the best way to approach it.

Essentially, I want to run some Ethernet cables through the walls of my house.

My house is a new build (~3 years old), timberframe so all of the walls are hollow (sans insulation, etc.) and covered with plasterboard.

Assuming I want to go from the living room up to the bedrooms and perhaps the upper hallway (For an AP), what's normally the best approach? Should everything run up to the attic, along, then down, or just between floors?

I would actually like to put my network equipment in the loft, so I'm not opposed to running all the cabling via a patch panel in the loft, I'm just not sure of the approach.

Do you start from the loft, find the wall, drill in, drop cables and then try to find where they've dropped? How do you guide the cables down/through floors? What equipment do you normally require for such a thing?

Should I just bite the bullet and run cables outside the house? (Not my preference at all).

I appreciate it's a lot easier to do this before the plasterboard is up and that it's going to be super fiddly, but while I'm stuck inside for the next few weeks, I may as well make the most of it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote