View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 15:41   #16
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.
Re: The Naylor Report... selling NHS assets ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
*sigh* I'll post this link again.
fyi: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b087rx6b
The NHS is facing a sustained squeeze. An ageing population, the rising cost of new treatments and increasing patient demand on the one hand, and the impact of continued austerity on the other. What can it do?One answer might lie in improving productivity. In the first of two programmes on the NHS, Louise Cooper explores its productivity puzzle. What does increased productivity look like in the health service? She meets clinicians, across the country, who are trying to do more for less. Can their efforts be replicated across the NHS? And, if so, will it ever be enough?
Presenter: Louise Cooper
Producer: Rosamund Jones.…

Doing more for less is something I am familier with the trust I work for sometimes only has two HCAs on for a ward of 26 people , getting them up fed,washed,dressed and out,and the patients sometimes have dementia as well as there are not enough beds in mental health units for them.

Lots of trusts such as University NHS trusts get one pot of money a year from the government and no more if they run out, efficiencies in these trusts as nearly reaching optimum level believe me.

We as the article says are already doing our best to do more for much less.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
How about the issuing of wholly unnecessary appointments generate an solely to achieve targets? Then there's all that purchasing which is ridiculously expensive and should be centralised to achieve economies or scale. In an organisation the size of the NHS it's as ridiculous to assume that there's no scope for efficiencies as it is to claim that certain areas such as social care aren't a huge problem and extra cost for the NHS. Agency nursing costs would be another huge area of waste.
Now on the appoointments and agency nursesI think you have a fair point.

But agency Nurses are only needed as they cannot fill nursing roles in many trusts.