Thread: Help please
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 19:08   #12
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
of course

Just checked the spec of my laptop and i have -"Gigabit LAN / 802.11g Wireless LAN ". Is this sufficicent or will I need anything else.

Also, you recomended me to connect my pc to the STB via ethernet. How would I do this.
Ok:

1) Yes, your laptop should be able to connect without any problems.

2) If you're going to connect the PC to the router anyway:

PC > ROUTER > STB

then there is no need to connect the PC direct to the STB (sorry if I confused you there).

You need to check that you have an ethernet port on the back of the PC, there should be one on the back of the STB but it doesn't hurt to check that as well , it's a bit like a telephone socket but bigger.

If you have then you simply need to use the ethernet cable that should have come with the STB to connect the router to the STB. Your router will come with a cable.

you need to do some trick stuff to get the STB to recognise the router (that's covered on other threads but hopefully somebody will repeat it here for you) and once that's sorted you should be able to connect the main PC without too many problems.

Once the main PC is connected you can connect the laptop via the wireless card and all should be well.

Once the two are connected and working it will be necessary to set up the security on the router (and the PC and Laptop) and then you are good to go

They look like this (should be labelled though):

Oh, and if you go here:

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/select_modem.php

You can select the type of STB that you have and then see the way that NTL say you can do it
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote