Thread: Help please
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 18:42   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Help please

to CF.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to get yourself a router.

Connect the PC to the outer, and the router to the STB. This will give you access to your internet connection from the main PC and then gives you two options for connecting the laptop.

1) You can connect the laptop's ethernet port directly to the router via a network cable.

2) If you have bought a wireless router and your laptop has wireless capability (or a wireless card) you can connect wirelessly to the router from other places on your house (or garden if you are lucky ).

I would suggest that option 2 is the best bet as this gives you more versatility with your laptop.

For wireless routers I would recommend the model in my signature, if you don't have wireless capability on your laptop you should be able to add it quite easily by buying a plug-in card.

I would also suggest (if you haven't done so already) that your PC should be connected to the STB via ethernet and not USB.

Hope some of that helps, if you have any questions just shout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey2468
Plug in the cable that is in your pc (asuming its ethernet) into your laptop, then reboot the modem and startup, laptop.

If its USB its a little more complicated
I think the OP is trying to share the connecton between the two machines.

Swapping the cables backwards and forwards gets complicated with STBs as you need to re-register the MAC address for each device.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote