View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 10:18   #58
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
Gym music. Trying to take a circuit last night and the manageress of the gym put hard core rave on with mc shouting all sorts of crap. Dunno how she expects me to think about what everyone is doing with that crap blaring away at me
They do that at my gym.. The music you get depends on who is on duty. Can be Rave, dubstep or even whatever happens to be on Capital FM or XFM.

Thankfully, most of the cardio vascular machines have built in entertainment centres where, as long as you have your own headphones, you can watch TV, listen to the radio (any station as long as it's on Freeview), or you can plug in your iPhone/iPod/iPad (as long as it has the old Dock connector) or USB stick and watch/listen to whatever media is on that.

Personally, I like to load up my iPhone with the latest episodes of whatever TV series I happen to like at the time, and watch those (if appropriate) while on the machines.

For the machines without these centres, I have iTunes Match enabled, so I have access to pretty much any album I have ever bought, even if it's not on my phone.

My moan? Specifying pro quality hardware for work when the people buying it don't understand the industry. I am specifying machines for editing broadcast quality video and audio. We need specific monitors for previewing the video. Because they are being used for broadcast quality (even movie quality, as some of the stuff produced will be shown on the big screen) video, it's important that any monitors we buy have good colour calibration systems, as well as good LCD panels (would prefer Plasma, but that's a dying technology and we need something that will be good for a few years).

The company we are using to fit the suites these monitors will go into recommended a particular monitor that is over £1,000 (they don't sell them, so they are making no extra money if we buy this monitor). I've done a lot of research on this, and can find no reason to fault their recommendation, as this particular monitor has a very good reputation in the digital media industry.

Yet, here I am, having to compose an email explaining why we aren't going for a £300 Iiyama, or even an Apple monitor, both of which (on paper at least) have similar specs, but lack the accurate colour calibration we need.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote