View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 17:20   #28
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Fifa tells referee to call off England game if players wear poppies

The Poppy may have been intended as a symbol of remembrance, but certainly in the UK, as widely emphasised by posts in this thread, it is sold as a symbol of donation to a charitable appeal. That appeal not only raises money for the veterans of the two main wars, but also provides supports for thos in more recent conflicts. That has drawn the poppy into a more contentious symbol, and as the BBC article linked to by Danielf above indicates in some sectors of society, it can be seen to represent other authority.

To me, these days, the poppy I wear on my jacket is a symbol that I have donated to the charitable appeal, and thus support those, or their dependants, who have put themselves in harms way in the name of the political will of our country.

To that extent, fifa's view that the poppy could be viewed politically is appropriate.

The act of rememberance is the observation of the silence on the armistice day, or at a rememberance parade. You can't buy remembrance you do need to reflect on what it means.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote