View Single Post
Old 16-04-2009, 00:19   #1
chris1712
Inactive

chris1712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Knotty Problem - connection drops when connecting to the internet via WGR614v9

I've been tearing my hair out trying to fix this problem for several days now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I got a Netgear WGR614v9 in the mail from Virgin a few days back, set it up as per the instructions with no problem. I'm using it wired, I've disabled the wireless since it's of no interest to me.

It was fine for the first couple of days, but starting on Wednesday evening both computers connected to the router started getting losing their connection to the internet briefly every few minutes. It causes downloads to stop, skype calls to drop, games to disconnect, and so on, and is incredibly annoying. I have tried replacing the router with another set up in the same way, the WNR2000 (I have conveniently received one of each from Virgin due to what I assume is a clerical error on their part).

I've set up constant pings to the modem, the other PC connected to the router, and an outside address. When the connection drops it's only the outside ping that fails, so I assume the issue is with the router, the modem, or something Virgin is doing. I should also point out that my connection is flawless when I connect a PC directly to the modem, and that I've tried rotating the cables used.

Does anyone have any suggestions / suspicions about where the problem could lie? Or perhaps someone has experienced a problem like this before? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
chris1712 is offline   Reply With Quote