View Single Post
Old 21-09-2017, 16:20   #2682
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Thursday Night NFL games were the only package Amazon could get their hands on, I think the other packages are still in multi year contracts.
With regard to Premier League rights NBC hold those in Amazon's home territory of the USA until the end of the 2021-2022 season, also the Premier League are reluctant to give up on their policy of selling rights to individual countries, so if Amazon are to bid for the Premier League my thoughts are that it would be for just one or two packages, maybe the mooted new Saturday night slot would be in their sights for the European territories they operate in?

I'd also hazard a guess that as Amazon acquires more sports rights they cease to be free for Amazon Prime customers and a separate sports sub will be required a la Amazon Music (if you want a decent music service rather than the free one), Amazon Fresh, Audible and any of their other services that require more than a Prime subscription.
Yes, broadly, I agree with this. And clearly, Amazon cannot bid for rights if they are not yet up for grabs.

There is no doubt in my mind that Amazon will charge separately for any sports channels it adds to its system, just as you have to pay extra for Discovery, etc on Amazon now. They won't do it for free, that's for sure, the rights are far too costly for that to be a proposition.

You may well be right that Amazon could go for the smaller packages on this next round to test the waters, with a view to tackling Sky the next time around. BT should be getting worried, I would have thought.

By the way:

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...en-atp-finals/

Last edited by OLD BOY; 21-09-2017 at 17:08.