View Single Post
Old 13-12-2017, 11:35   #1257
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Hi don't want to put words in to Micks mouth but a complete break with no trade deal, regulatory alignment or membership of EU led organisations is what you are suggesting here?

What sort of WTO tariff schedule would you like us to have? An economists for Brexit zero tariff schedule or something else? The EU is very protectionist of agriculture with 15-40% import tariffs under the WTO MFN schedule. Automotive is up around 9%. Should the UK do something similar to protect domestic industry?
I would prefer a trade deal, but not continuing membership of the Common Market or Customs Union, and not at any price.

If I read Mick correctly, he would just like to pull out with no deal. I, however, would only support that if the deal being offered was unreasonable. A cost of £50bn is the absolute maximum I would wish to go to, and then only if it could be justified.

As far as WTO tariffs are concerned, you do know that tariffs are only applied if the importing country wants them to apply, right? The EU is a declining market for our exports, whereas our imports from the EU are increasing, so guess who will be more affected by the imposition of tariffs?

It's strange that you would want to use agriculture as part of your argument. The Common Agricultural Policy is a disgrace and benefits French farmers in particular. This country has long campaigned to get rid of it. The fisheries policy in particular gets my goat - our fishing industry is a pale shadow of what it used to be, and all those fish that are thrown back - dead - into the sea is unforgivable.

Basically, we can import and export agricultual products without the EU if necessary. I really wouldn't lose any sleep over that. It would be good to trade with our Commonwealth partners again, as we used to before the EEC.

As for the automotive industry, do you really think that Germany would welcome us applying tariffs on their exports to us? We buy an awful lot of cars from Germany, but we don't have to.

I certainly agree that Brexit will make a big difference to GB, but most of the important changes are positives; the negatives can be handled without major implications. Most of the panic comes from people who can't get to grips with how this will work, but over the next year or so, this will become clear.

Interesting to see how things have quietened down since we got to Phase II, which many remainers thought would never happen.