View Single Post
Old 22-05-2013, 01:00   #51
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
re: The Xbox One Thread

I found this more interesting than the "#XboxReveal" itself... Perhaps the lack of "CHECK OUT ALL THESE SPORTS GAMES! WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP!" meant I wasn't put off like I was when I watched the reveal earlier.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

There's also an FAQ at Xbox.com:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

After my initial disappointment (again, probably due to the above mentioned sport focus and the general American whooping at everything), I'm starting to be quite interested in it again.

I know that I *will* buy both an Xbox One and a PS4 at some point, just as I bought both an Xbox 360 and PS3 during this current generation (and also a Wii, but, well, whatever...), as there will be exclusives on both platforms that I would like to play.

The question for me, is which one will I buy first?

Price and release date are of course important, but I'm quite curious to see what both sides have to show at E3 in June...

Oh, and regarding backwards compatibility...

Before the reveal, one of the many rumours was regarding an "Xbox Mini":

A very small Xbox 360 without an optical drive, which would therefore play downloaded games only, and which would be aimed at the Apple TV kind of area.

One particular feature it was alleged to have was that you could connect it to the next Xbox and that it would then enable you to play 360 games on the next Xbox, with the next Xbox handling reading the game DVD, the Xbox Mini then handling the game itself due to actually being a 360, and the next Xbox then pumping out the video/audio to your TV over HDMI.

See, my issue when people ask "Why don't you just keep your 360? You don't need to bin/sell it just because you're getting a next-gen Xbox!" is one of space and connections. I don't have the connections for an Xbox One *and* a 360, and I don't have the physical space for both (especially given how much of a monster the Xbox One has turned out to be!). An "Xbox Mini" would solve those issues, though. Connections would be no problem, as the Mini would be routed via the Xbox One. Size would be no problem because the alleged point of the Mini is to be... mini.

OK, still all unconfirmed rumour, of course... But a sizeable chunk of the other leaks have turned out to be true...

If it does happen (and there's plenty of time - this reveal was only supposed to be for the new Xbox), I'd be willing to buy a Mini too if it was cheap enough. Then I could sell my 360, but still be able to re-play Halo and Mass Effect etc...

---------- Post added at 01:00 ---------- Previous post was at 00:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
It requires Kinect so I'm out.
Why?

Just because it comes with Kinect, doesn't mean that every game is going to be some crappy casual dance game.

Kinect will be used for controlling the system itself, not just gestures but also voice. What's wrong with that?

If it is a space issue, then don't worry - the increased camera resolution and other improvements apparently mean it the field is larger by 60% and it can handle much smaller play areas than the original Kinect.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote