View Single Post
Old 28-05-2017, 10:22   #12
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media laying fibre in established VM areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
The VHUB acts as a multiplexer, condensing down up to 3000 subscribers into trunks of 16f back to a headend/hubsite. All CMTS and broadcast equipment is still in the technical sites, the VHUB is just acting like a massive collector node/amplifier.

The star topology you refer to was the ex-Telewest network (point to point PDH generally) while the NTL network is generally built on fibre rings (redundant SDH).

HTH
Interesting stuff. I remember SDH being mentioned now in fact, but being about 15 at the time, those details were lost on me. I guess it's like having a ring main. I did wonder why there were so few lasers compared to nodes in the field.

National network used the ATM protocol, (which I assume is now probably MPLS based).

The Arris (for example) VHub PDFs online mention the use of DWDM feeds - I remember hearing that being spoken about in 1999/2000, as well as discussions about multimode vs single mode fibre. All the stuff in use was single mode I think. I guess this stuff has been converging for years.

Last edited by Onramp; 28-05-2017 at 10:30.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote