View Single Post
Old 16-05-2017, 17:12   #77
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Large Scale Cyber-Attack Hits 40 NHS Hospitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
One possible way to mitigate this type of attack would be for emails to be opened in a sandbox.

The cost for businesses to implement throughout their network could be prohibitive.

A back-up on the other hand costs a damn site less. Any Hospitals down today???
Backups may or may not be helpful. If the trojan hit several weeks ago, and has been silently encrypting/decrypting the files, then any backups are likely to be encrypted. Especially if the machines running the backups are vulnerable.

Quote:

What planet are you on?

I go to the doctor with say a knee complaint, he sends me the the hospital for an X-ray.

When I go back to him he clicks on a button and can see the X-ray result on screen and can make a decision on treatment.

This actually happened to me and enabled me to have a knee replacement within a year!

No FAX's!
The NHS, like any large organisation, has old and new hardware. When I worked for my old hospital (back in the early 90s), most of the administration was done on PCs of various vintages, but the patient records were only available on terminals that had been installed in the 70s. Terminals that I am told were in use until the early 2000s when the hospital was demolished and replaced with a state of the art new one. Now, we do have a system in place where things like X rays are available electronically, and our GP (at least) is registered with the NHS Epatient system, so we can book appointments and request repeat prescriptions through the web, iPhone or Android app.

It's not just public organisations that suffer it. Look at the problems experienced by customers of certain banks. Problems caused by the fact that although the bank's customer facing hardware and software is relatively new, it's using backend servers that were installed in the 80s, or in some cases, the 70s.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote