View Single Post
Old 25-03-2010, 21:50   #7
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki
Re: Wired networking setup help

Thanks for all the help much appreciated

Think I will go with Kymmy's way as it means I can drag the wires around the outside of the house and keep it nice and neat near my router.

At the moment I have 3 ethernet cables coming from the router and the wires go around the groove in the skirting boards around the door frame and into there respective rooms which is a bit of a pain in the backside.

Near my router is an empty room cupboard (walk in) so I might re-position my modem and router in there and drag the network leads through the vent and outside and around the house to save me drilling too many holes.

Anyone know if the network cables will be fine for out door use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Buying the bits can be expensive, but I have used a kit sold in B&Q several times and it works out a lot cheaper! And the kit has everything you need!

http://www.diy.com/ search for Philex Network Cabling Starter Kit
I saw that today in my local B&Q in the clearance isle it was around £15-£20 so I might just go buy that

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Seeing you enquired about homeplugs earlier, you might want to consider the following:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179897

It really is the best of both worlds. Go through the walls to where you want to be, and go wireless from there. Not cheap, but very reliable and flexible.
For some reason I am still spooked about this, I live in an older house with old wiring and the whole thing about the various circuits confuses me so I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that may not work (though it probably will). Might have to google this one.

Thank you to everyone for the help
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote