View Single Post
Old 21-03-2017, 21:43   #637
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Brexit: Article 50 to be triggered 29th March!

The hard left Labour MPs, and all of the SNP, accuse it of bias well. Especially Laura Kussinburg, there was a petition to get her fired by left-wing activists IIRC. I think there might be a bias across a lot of media outlets for the status-quo, journalists attempt to fit what is happening into existing frameworks, but I don't think any of the television networks are that biased.

I think it's harder for news organizations though because people are becoming more partisan and there is less common ground from which to begin a discussion. When basic facts are disputed, the role of experts dismissed, and everything being a matter of opinion then that leaves no option but to be been by biased from one of the two sides. Corbyn loses a by-election and has historical low polling? Biased mainstream media narrative. Inflation increases as the pound falls in value? Liberal media undermining Brexit. They can't win.

People want their existing views confirmed and represented. Hence the popularity of hyperpartisan news sites which openly boast about addressing the perceived imbalance in the media, mocking 'the other side' for doing the same thing, and then printing nothing but stories which pander to their audience.

But Tory MPs are obviously going to say they're biased and there is a clear incentive to attempt to influence them to provide a positive spin on Brexit as we enter the Article 50 talks. At the leading broadcaster if they air a story about a negative consequence it could have an impact.

Last edited by Damien; 21-03-2017 at 21:53.